Home » Comparing 2 scientific articles

Comparing 2 scientific articles

Fatima Elashry

Discussion Post (comparing 2 articles)

New York Times article and Danni Guo report

Abstract:

There is a difference between articles and reports. Report is a piece of material detailing, or an account given or provided to others of such activities while article is a portion or segment of something connected to other components, or forming an organized collection in combination. In the New York time article the author used data and statistics to prove what he wanted to say. The article was scientific and easy to understand although there were scientific words mentioned in the article. However, the report was more scientific and was harder to understand. There was a lot of new scientific vocabulary and the report was filled with data and facts.

Discussion post 

When I was reading Danni Guo’s report I felt that there was too much information that I got in a few minutes reading. It was totally different from the New York Times article although it was talking about the same topic. When I was reading it there were a lot of words I never saw before. It really sounded so scientific and from a person that works in the science field. Like the New York Times article can be written by an excellent student or a professor but Guo’s report I think it will take me months to write a paper with all this knowledge. On the other hand, Guo’s report seemed more organized and divided in a good way that the reader will understand more than the NYT article but when I was reading the NYT article I felt that I understood more and that it definitely interested me more than Guo’s report.

The similarities between the two is that they might share the same audience since both of them are talking about climate change. Both are stating facts, data and evidence about what they are talking about but it is just different that the New York times stated and showed it in different ways. The New York Times article showed it in narrative information more than data information and that is why it was better than the Guo’s report to us. We are students at the end so we like reading something without getting lost in it. Guo’s report did not use narrative information; it was all data and research made and that is why it sounded so professional and knowledgeable. After reading both of them now I understand that facts, data and any other information can be mentioned in different ways depending on your audience.