Home » Contagion

Contagion

Fatima Elashry

English 21003

Discussion post 

Abstract:

We all know that most of the reading and the movies that is assigned by teachers or professors is boring. This time no, Contagion is a movie made in 2011 that shows the crisis we live now today in 2020. The professor assigned us to watch it but it wasn’t boring at all. It is crazy how we live in a movie story that was made before. The pandemic surprised all of us because no one was ready for this crisis. People though that the world is developed enough that they can easily fix any problem that will come up.

Reflection on the movie

I was planning to watch this movie a long time ago but I never had the chance to watch it. I usually do not like the movies that are given by teachers or professors because I find them boring. This time I do not regret being forced to watch this movie because I really liked the idea and how it is similar to what is happening now in the world.

It is crazy how this movie was made in 2011 and now almost everything that happened in the movie is happening now in the world. This made me believe that anything can happen and nothing is impossible. The movie has many strong points such as how they discovered the place that the virus spread from and how to avoid the spread of the virus between people. Moreover, the symptoms they collected data to know what are the symptoms of the virus and to acknowledge people with it. One of the strongest points that the movie showed is how human beings are one of the worst creatures on earth. Once the pandemic started and no one was helping the other. Everyone searches for their own benefits and cares about themselves. People robbed and ruined places that other people own. They never thought that these places they are ruining are owned by someone that is suffering from the pandemic too. The movie showed pictures of how everything in the country closed like shops, religious places, companies, restaurants and any type of business. That is also happening now most businesses have bankrupted because of the COVID-19. The movie showed the reality of people and I feel like that movie was made to prepare us for something like the COVID-19 that is going on now.

I find the movie to be problematic at the point where they created the vaccines after 30 days of the pandemic. Vaccines were never that easy to be made and we all know that vaccines take years to be produced in the laboratories. I also find it unfair that they disrupted the vaccines by the birth date. If they disrupted the vaccine to young people who need it first and then to other people who need it will be better than disrupting it by birth date. I also  found the most problematic part is where the chef of the restaurant cooked a sick pig. This is one and two where he cleaned his hands on his clothes and went to shake hands with the guest that came to the restaurant. That was careless and caused the spread of the virus and the world went in pandemic.